Upon completion of this course, the health care
professional should be able to:
- Describe the function of the kidney.
- Identify characteristics of the following
degrees of renal dysfunction: diminished renal reserve,
renal insufficiency, renal failure, and end-stage renal
- Identify normal values for the following
renal function tests: Blood urea nitrogen (BUN), serum
and urine creatinine, creatinine clearance, urinary urea
nitrogen and nitrogen balance, serum and urine
osmolality, serum and urinary uric acid.
- Compare and contrast factors that affect
the BUN and serum creatinine levels.
- Give examples of changes in serum and
urine osmolality and propose appropriate nursing