Upon completion of this program the learner
will be able to
- Describe the conduction system of the heart.
- Discuss the sites of action potential generation and propagation through the cardiac conduction system.
- Contrast the effect of parasympathetic with sympathetic stimulation of the cardiac conduction system.
- Correlate the actions of the heart represented by the p wave, PR interval, QRS complex, and
- Choose proper placement of electrodes based on ECG mechanics.
- Calculate a heart rate from an ECG strip
- Analyze how the following rhythms would appear on an ECG stip.
- Normal sinus rhythm
- Sinus Bradycardia
- Sinus tachycardia
- List 5 common causes of abnormal heart rhythms.
- Analyze how the following dysrhythmias would appear on an ECG stip.
- Atrial fibrillation
- Premature ventricular contractions
- Ventricular fibrillation
- Asystole/ventricular standstill
- List nursing interventions associated with common dysrhythmias.
- Describe the nursing interventions intended to correct the effects of insufficient tissue perfusion associated with dysrhythmia.